The Earth is our only home, we have and everybody should do their share to help protect and preserve our environment. One small effort as an individual can create a ripple of change that could lessen our carbon footprint and conserve precious natural resources. In respect for World Environment Day, here are some ways to help save Mother Nature.
1. Help conserve water at home.
Some countries are blessed with abundant fresh drinking water while other regions lack it greatly. Even though you have water in your tap 24/7, it doesn’t mean that you can waste water. Here are ways to help preserve water.
- Check for leaking faucets and repair if needed.
- Use slow-flow showerheads to retain showering comfort while conserving water.
- Use basins full of water when washing dishes instead if using continuously running water.
- Turn off the continuously running faucet when brushing your teeth.
- Wash laundry in full load batches instead of washing a few pieces at a time.
- Water your lawn on a schedule, only when needed, and turn it off on rainy days.
2. Help prevent water pollutants.
Apart from saving water at home, you can do your share in keeping the water sources free from pollutants. Here are some ways to protect our water supply.
- Don’t liter. Garbage often finds its way to our rivers, lakes, and water supplies.
- Join local environmental groups and participate in water clean up activities in your area.
- Influence your family and friends to do their share in keeping local beaches, lakes, and rivers clean. Have a clean up party. Organize your family and friends for a weekend beach clean up party by spending an evening gathering trash to beautify the shoreline.
3. Minimize using plastic.
Plastic trash is hard to dispose and it takes many years to decompose, even decades. Here are some ways to minimize your plastic use.
- Buy recycled products and recycle your own products after consumption.
- Use a reusable bag when grocery shopping.
- Instead of drinking water in plastic bottles, use a reusable water bottle that you can refill any time and bring anywhere.
Do you have other suggestions on how readers can help preserve water and save the environment for the observance of the World Environment Day? Tell us about it and let’s all join together to make the world a cleaner place for generations to come.