National Child Health Day, celebrated every first Monday of October, is participated in by many organizations that are interested in child welfare. The purpose of the holiday is to make Americans aware of how they can develop and protect the health of the country’s children. Health professionals and various health organizations all over the country take part in different events and activities celebrating this day.
Promoting Children’s Health
Parents can promote the health of their children by taking positive action in the following areas:
- Sleep – Children need about 10 hours of sleep at night. They can also benefit from taking naps during the day when possible. Parents can make bedtime an enjoyable experience by establishing a consistent bedtime routine. This can include brushing teeth, bathing, and engaging in wholesome activities like bedtime stories and reading.
- Food and water – Children must eat nutritious food and drink sufficient quantities of water. Helping children develop these habits early can contribute to increased health later in life.
- Junk food – Many children love the taste of junk food, but parents must minimize kids’ intake of this type of food to help prevent obesity. Keep healthy foods handy. These can include nuts, cheese, and sliced fruits and vegetables.
- Cigarette smoke – Keep children away from cigarette smoke. Breathing second hand smoke can lead to respiratory illnesses such as asthma.
- Good personal habits –Educate children about the importance of good personal hygiene such as hand washing before eating, after using the restroom, and after wiping their nose. Children should be trained to cover their mouth when coughing. Maintaining healthy personal habits will help kids healthy and prevent the spread of illness to others.
Staying Healthy Through Sports
Engaging in sports and physical activity is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Regular physical activity can help in preventing chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and osteoporosis. Exercise and sports can also be therapeutic in addressing some psychological disorders such as depression. Physical activities and sports at early ages provide a great way to help kids grow into healthy and well-rounded individuals.
It is often easier to get kids involved if the whole family is active. Rather than sedentary family activities, opt for hiking, camping, fishing, and other activities that will help children enjoy being active and exploring the great outdoors.
Sports Equipment and Outdoor Products
One great way to get kids excited about the outdoors as well as physical activities is to expose them to the proper tools. DealYard.com has great sporting and outdoors equipment from known brands that include Coleman, Rawlings, Pure Fishing and a lot more.